The business of religion always comes with power, influence, and a lot of money.
The Philippine government is run not just by the politicians, but by influential religious groups lobbying around boasting their leverage, especially in the coming presidential elections.
Philippine politicians are nothing but puppets of these religious leaders and their organizations. No wonder why crimes committed by some of these leaders are often overlooked by the government. Their influence is more than the politicians’ power.
1. Glicerio “Jun” Santos Jr. Many Filipinos do not know who this person is, but unknown to them, Jun Santos is the most powerful religious figure in the Philippines. He is the general auditor of the controversial and Guinness-obsessed Iglesia Ni Cristo, and president of more than a dozen Felix Y. Manalo Foundations. His wealth is more than anyone can imagine. His influence in the Philippine government is second to none. Abuloy pa more!
2. Mariano “Mike” Velarde The leader of El Shaddai comes in second. Although Mike Velarde is not media-friendly, his wealth speaks who he is. Mike has an estimated net worth of more than 200 million pesos.
3. Eduardo “Eddie” Villanueva Eddie Villanueva might have failed to become a Philippine president, but his influence remains strong and his wealth remains big. Villanueva has an estimated net worth of more than 200 million pesos.
4. Eliseo Soriano Soriano might be in exile, but he is the most popular and controversial person in this list. Soriano is a known critic of the Iglesia Ni Cristo and has more than 100 million pesos in his bank account.
5. Cardinal Luis Antonio Tagle Everyone knows who Cardinal Tagle is. He is the most powerful Catholic leader in the country. It is hard to estimate his wealth, but his influence precedes him.
6. Eduardo V. Manalo The embattled leader of the Iglesia Ni Cristo is still a powerful person despite being overshadowed by Jun Santos in terms of wealth and influence. INC members believe that Eduardo is still their leader, but the current situation says otherwise. Manalo is responsible for the near demise of a 100-year legacy.
7. Apollo Quiboloy Quiboloy is a televangelist and the founder of Kingdom of Jesus Christ. He is the richest religious leader in Southern Philippines with an estimated net worth of 100 million. He is a friend of Davao City mayor Rodrigo Duterte.
8. Eugenio “Bo” Sanchez Bo Sanchez is a religious leader and bestselling author. His influence through print and broadcast media is hard to surpass. He has an estimated net worth of 30 million pesos. 9. Eddie “Among Ed” Panlilio The former priest and former governor of Pampanga is still one of the most powerful people in the North. Ed may have not enough money to make on this list, but his name speaks otherwise when it comes to influence.
10. Daniel Razon Most people would think Daniel Razon is just a reporter, but no. He is a deputy leader of Ang Dating Daan, second to his uncle Eliseo Soriano. Although he is still seen on TV, Daniel is a secret millionaire with an estimated net worth of more than 20 million pesos. To those people who want to become rich and powerful, you have two options. Either you become a politician or build your own religion. /Jake Nepomuceno – Makati City/
Okd2.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for website owners to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon(.com, .co.uk, .ca etc) and any other website that may be affiliated with Amazon Service LLC Associates Program.