Malacañang has released the net worth of President Duterte’s Cabinet members and it revealed that Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez is the richest with P322.106 million, while former activist and militant leader, Agrarian Reform Secretary Rafael Mariano is the poorest with around P30,000 net worth.
It is understandable that most of the Cabinet members are millionaires as they are seasoned politicians and businessmen, but how about those people who are actively participating in the street protest, and/or organizing anti-government rallies.
Let’s take a look at how rich or poor these militant leaders are, and if they are really making money on organizing rallies.
The following is the list of richest Filipino activists and militant leaders.
1. Jose Maria Sison, or Joma is reportedly the richest militant leaders with a total net worth of around P49 million (US$1M) according to several online sources. The communist leader and founder has been hiding in The Netherlands for around three decades. Sison is believed to be making money through extortion activities of the New People’s Army and other militant groups associated with the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP).
2. Risa Hontiveros – The self-proclaimed activist-turned Senator is one of the richest among militant leaders with a net worth of P15,932,207. Hontiveros owns several businesses, but it is also believed that the lady senator is also benefiting from party-lists moneymaking schemes.
3. Luis Jalandoni. Luis, Joma’s sidekick came from a prominent family in Negros Occidental, but he also made his life being a high profile officer of the communist. Jalandoni has a reported net worth of around P9.7 million.
4. Renato Reyes. The Secretary General of Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (BAYAN) is the most visible person on the streets during anti-government protests. Few people knows however that Mr. Reyes, according to several sources online, have a net worth of around P7 million. This includes cash in the bank, real properties, and vehicles.
5. Satur Ocampo. Ocampo might be laying low right now, but the senior citizen is surely enjoying his life. Satur’s last reported net worth when he last submitted his SALN P1.2 million. Enough for an old man like him to enjoy his life, while still organizing rallies and making some pennies.
6. Teddy Casiño filed his SALN with the House records declaring a net worth of merely P446,389.95 (total assets at P462,753.08).
“I have always practiced the activist tenet of ‘simpleng pamumuhay, puspusang paglilingkod.’ In my nine years in Congress, I did not enrich myself and live a simple life. This I hope to continue even if I become senator,” he said.
Casiño served in the workers sector as part of Kilusang Mayo Uno after graduating from college. He went on to be the secretary general of Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) and one of the prominent young leaders during EDSA Dos. He continues to lead a simple life with his wife, a human rights and women’s advocate, and two sons.
7. Judy Taguiwalo has an estimated net worth of P567,000. The former and unconfirmed Secretary of Department of Social Welfare and Development (DILG), is still richer than most Filipinos.
8. Liza Maza declared a total asset of P3.7 million, but her liabilities of P3.45M left her a total net worth of only P295,000.
9. Rafael Mariano, the former Secretary of Agrarian Reform submitted his SALN with P30K total net worth. He did not have any liability. Mariano filed a total net worth of P50K when he was a congressman representing Anakpawis, but it was not clear why his net worth has dropped.
10. Sarah Jane Elago of KABATAAN Party List has a declared net worth of P50,000 and without any liability. Elago is not really in the same level as the people mentioned above, but since she is is a member of party list and has been active in advocacy groups, she is still an activist.
Regardless of who is the poorest and the richest among the above high profile militant leaders, they still leave beyond what they always complain as “poor”.
These people are too rich to organize anti-government rallies and sabotage the working population. /Janine Fausto/
Okd2.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for website owners to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon(.com, .co.uk, .ca etc) and any other website that may be affiliated with Amazon Service LLC Associates Program.
Leave Your Comments